Friday 7 October 2011

Oh I wish I was a Rocker with Flowers in My Hair

The Rock Chic look is a difficult look to pull off unless you are 100% dedicated to it. Kate Moss is perhaps the epitome of the sexy rock girl, especially in the simplicity of her street wear; a tank top and skinny jeans paired with military boots. Moss always looks effortlessly flawless rocker chic whether she is gracing tabloid covers or fashion magazines’ looks of the week.

But even though Kate Moss is someone to take detailed notes from, she is only the inspiration for the look I am posing. Perhaps a contradiction to the edginess associated with this look, but I introduce the Softer Rock Chic.  If, like me, you love the look but aren’t a true and firm follower to the cause like Miss Moss, my advice on Rock Chic Goes Soft may be the perfect mix up for your next night out to make that oomph you’ve been waiting for, but still owning it as your own. I give you three looks.

Look 1

Faux fur is my brand new statement piece I bought in a vintage clothes stall at Johannesburg’s Arts on Main (which is a market in town open every Sunday). It is a risky jacket so it must be planned wisely, which means a simple palette and the right occasion. I paired my cropped faux fur with H&M staple black leggings with gold zips and a beige baggy tank from Topshop. i bought my black suede shoes from the main Zara in Milan two Christmases ago, and I still love them


My hair is slicked back off my face and twisted into a bun on the top of my head to give the look a clean look, especially as I have charcoaled all around my eyes. Freddy Mercury eyes like the accessories are the finishing touch. So, now the accessories.. 

Gold Gold Gold and some more sparkling Gold. The clutch is a beautiful vintage handbag from Wardrobe (see September post ‘Brand New Wardrobe’). The material is scrunched up and adds another dynamic to the simple, classic clutch. Finally, after the ankle boots and clutch comes the finishing touches, the jewellery.


A long necklace with 4 keys in 4 shades of gold, stretching from matted to bright. And then secondly the flower rings, one white and gold from a boutique in Blu Bird near Melrose Arch in Johannesburg, and the other is black and gold with a crystal from Accessorize I bought years and years ago. That is one fabulous thing about jewellery, they last forever.


Look 2


The wild child who has turned to the dark side. My Zara ankle boots are making another appearance as well as the Topshop top (a true stylish girl knows how to mix up pieces already worn into brand new outfits never seen before).

My elastic mid-waisted grey leopard/snake/zebra/tiger print skirt is from Atmosphere from the UK. An open top like mine adds to the sexy element to a rocker lover however, the mirror has to follow you around I’m afraid, nobody wants to see booby exposure. So wear a smart strapless bra and don’t distract people by fiddling with the top.

 Hair straight down but not sleek, rather go fluffy, a little back brushing, a lot of mousse and hairspray and have a sexy flick now and again to maintain the messy yet controlled look, as you don’t want to sport the Dragged Through the Bush look.


You can have fun with jewellery here, bigger and spikier the better, Kim Kardashian is a helpful model for how to wear spikes on shoes, jewellery and accessories. Or like me, play it down with simple silver chains to maintain the dainty rock chic.

Here as you can see I have had fun with the traditional smokey eye but rather than going dark and smouldering I kept it light and used a range of shades of browns and greys to effectively achieve the smokey eye but maintaining a degree of sophistication. Once again I breathe by MAC, but I also adore Sephora.  


Photographs taken by the beautiful Khanya Mashalaba. Visit her fashion blog candychampagne.blogspot.com
Look 3 TO BE CONTINUED.........

No comments:

Post a Comment